페이지 정보

profile_image
작성자 Stuart Letcher
댓글 0건 조회 49회 작성일 24-02-29 15:35

본문

Netscape is working to cease this.) (Update: might be a results of "severely overworked programmers": Netscape's gopher is back and getting better all the time!) And mathematical formulae seem to point that the pace benefits of placing the entire non-commercial WWW again on gopher might increase entry speeds by over 10,000%! Is it time for a brand new Renaissance on the web, to deliver again the promise of the early years?? gopher://, aka The Bring Back Gopher Campaign, mygirls.me is a grass-roots motion to make this occur. What we'd like: - Modern Gopher servers (eventual purpose is for an Apache Gopher server) - Old gopher shoppers recompiled for modern shoppers, and distributed with them by default (Apple help)(http://athene.dnsalias.org/gopher) New: Mozilla support! (http://www.mozilla.org) - Investigate the "plugin possibility": the last Gopher server was ported to FreeBSD; developer says a release of the VR Gopher source code (still proprietary!) could give Gopher a future as a plugin... - A gopher-browser able to receiving gopher-streams for audio and video - Campaign focal point with mailing-listing: now live, see gopher://gopher.browser.org/ or also http://gopher.browser.org/ - Gopher-compatible multimedia streams for tv stations We can do it! Campaign links and data ----------------------- gopher://gopher.browser.org/ http://gopher.browser.org/ gopher://gopher.heatdeath.org/ New Gopher Developer's Mailing List: put "subscribe" in topic and mail gopher-request@full.org http://www.full.org/mailinglists/archives/ (archives right here) Point of Gopher Campaign discussion: http://www.deja.com/=dnc/[ST_rn=ps]/threadmsg_ct.xp?AN=696020200.1 Alternates: information:comp.infosystems.gopher http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/11/22/1811243&mode=thread The King of All Gopher Sites: gopher://gopher.floodgap.com (WAS gopher://gopher.ptloma.edu/ Prime example of the corporatization of academic institutions!) Institution that invented it preserving flame alive (Univ of Minnesota): gopher://gopher.tc.umn.edu/ (Some hope's left?) First gopher weblog-useful resource web page: gopher://gopher.metafilter.com/ (need to push for gopher.weblogs.com) Gopher newsgroups: information:comp.infosystems.gopher (general) news:alt.internet.services (point of contact) news:alt.folklore.computer systems (knowledgebase) information:soc.culture.internet (history) news:soc.tradition.usenet (talk) news:alt.internet.supplier (demand help at isp stage) information:soc.tradition.www (competitive) information:netscape.public.basic (enemy) Gophersearch: Veronica-2 gopher://gopher.ptloma.edu:70/1/v2 Jughead gopher.utah.edu Gopher chatroom: odili.web/chat/ New projects & software program ----------------------- GNOME graphic gopher! http://www.hobbiton.org/~pflipp/software program/gnopher.en.html http://www.hobbiton.org/~pflipp/software/gnopher-screenshot.png Hot new gopher client (Python package deal!): http://opop.nols.com/proggie/forg-latest.tar.gz UMN gopher/gopherd, GPL Debian!: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/gopher.html http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/gopherd.html Gopherd mirror (1997): http://www.rocklinux.org/folks/ripclaw/software program/gopher WWWeb to gopher gateway cgi! http://www.heatdeath.org:8003/webgopher/tree.jsp (javascript) Modern gopher hackers: http://athene.owl.de/gopher A code neighborhood: gopher://moo.ca New working consumer in dbXML: http://www.dbxmlgroup.com/ Overview of shoppers and servers: http://www.yale.edu/pclt/WINWORLD/GOPHER.HTM Personal Gopher: http://tangible.media.mit.edu/~ullmer/papers/pgopher/node3.html Gopherculture & historical past ----------------------- Gopher data (examples): gopher://quux.org/ multi-gig text treaasure-trove! http://gopher.cuis.edu:70/0gopher_root2%3a[stumpers-l]stumpers-l.1995-03 gopher://gopher.ag.ohio-state.edu:70/11/newsletters/byg http://www.io.com/web/yanoff/inet.companies.html Gopher jewels (early infotree construction): http://www.galaxy.com/GJ/ http://riceinfo.rice.edu/armadillo/Mlist/archivejun94/msg00080.html http://www.uccs.edu/gopher/jewels.html http://scout18.cs.wisc.edu/NH/95-05/95-05-08/0014.html (finish-of-era) Gopher spec: http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/rfc/rfc1689.html A quick History of Gopher: http://www.thebee.com/bweb/iinfo15.htm Gopher icons: http://www.mat.dtu.dk/icons/gopher/ (UNIX xbm format) http://www.uvm.edu/icon/Gopher/ http://www5.biostr.washington.edu/icons/Gopher/ http://websoft.ics.uci.edu/Icons/roadkill.gif (404?) http://www.science.uva.nl/~mes/icons/icon.roadkill.gif The move against gopher ----------------------- Who killed it? (Post-WWW secret historical past): http://www.ics.uci.edu/~rohit/IEEE-L7-http-gopher.html WWW-revisionism: http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?Gopherspace MSU kills its servers: http://www.statenews.com/editionssummer97/070397/campus.html Result of overzealous server purging: http://programs.wc.cc.va.us/wcb/schools/WCC/ist/shavens/7/forums/forum3/messages/2.html Writing on the wall: Netscape Inc. trying to kill gopher (circa November, 2000) http://www.deja.com/=dnc/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=693812882 Anecdotes, stories, fun ----------------------- Uplifting gopher story: Connor Sexton writes, "I remember when I used to be 9 (im 14 now) I was utilizing Gopher with my dad on my old 486. I remember how cool it was to know that this info was out there on one other pc, being accessed by different folks.. There was a wealth of data so overwhelming I didnt know what to do with it. As a younger baby, I used to be extremely fascinated by Space, and i requested my dad to type in 'The right way to be and Astronaut' and that i obtained an essay with that topic. I used to be SO completely satisfied, I was amazed at what was happening. Today, I take advantage of the web and witness the horrible commercialization of an exquisite place. The far reaching palms of capatalism go away no stone unturned. I am prepared that will help you pull this together in any manner I can. I might like to see the reinstatement of Goper." More Gopher thoughts: Lawrence Rhodes writes, "'Point your Gopher to...' I remember getting excited when virtually something adopted these words. It was a sign of progress. Or of the impending state of knowledge connectedness all of us now experience. Now it appears so quaint. I miss it so not for the underpinning know-how (which may or may not have been superior) but for the feeling that the world of information know-how, certainly the world itself, was advancing rapidly sufficient to permit the common man access to the world's nice storehouses of information. Of couse, in retrospect, I suppose if I had thought in regards to the frequent man's infatigable hunger for porn and nonstop commerce and the myriad other forms of dangerous style, I might have seen the dangers of the banal. Indeed Gopher represented a simpler, extra naive time." Sober warning: Kris Kennaway writes, "... since there are apparently nonetheless people using gopherd, someone actually ought to fix the remote buffer overflows in the server which have been reported some time back on bugtraq (search on www.securityfocus.com for the main points). An up to date model was released after the primary one was discovered, but then there have been more reported and no new model was launched. ... it is sort of disturbing to assume that nearly all of what remains of the old gopher network might be susceptible to a remote root exploit." Co-writer of Internet Gopher protocol speaks: Bob Alberti writes (partial letter), "When within the dawn of the Third Millennium individuals, misguided or simply ignorant, are still using 'anonymous' FTP for file servers; and as cell phone builders reinvent the wheel by whittling HTML all the way down to extra compact protocols quite than constructing upon what exists; then it is obvious that greater understanding and consciousness of the Gopher and Gopher+ protocol is sorely wanted. "FTP is a 1960's-era resolution designed to communicate between 'dumb' terminals and mainframes. Having written the FTP-to-Gopher gateway, I can attest that the FTP protocol is incredibly primitive and susceptible to abuse. And the typical overloading of the protocol for 'nameless' FTP service is an example of pace and patchwork overcoming design limitations. FTP is notoriously insecure, requiring in lots of cases bidirectional firewall holes for support, and communicating in cleartext. FTP can be used to wreck its own server, and FTP cannot serve varieties, and solely serves banners with clumsy patchwork. "Gopher servers can share filesystems rapidly and simply. Gopher allows for 'cap' recordsdata to switch the appearance of the directories being served. It allows for cgi-model scripts, form submission, and a number of languages. And Gopher simply overlays current FTP service directories, providing freedom of alternative. Gopher+ was a bridge spanning the 1200-baud world of its existence with the 56K future only a few years ahead. When a severe communications bottleneck exists between the server and the consumer, then the fast, clear and environment friendly Gopher+ protocol offers a possible answer. "But Gopher+ will profit from larger exposure: ignorance of the Gopher protocol doesn't serve the greater Internet community: as with every powerful software, Gopher service can pose a safety vulnerability, especially when inexpertly applied. And so as to supply commercial providers, Gopher servers with higher encryption and safety options have to be developed. "Wireless communications builders could be nicely-advised to have a look at this venerable Internet protocol when searching for ways to speak with wireless and handheld gadgets similar to PDAs and cell phones. The Gopher+ protocol might be a quick, efficient, standardized open-supply solution to the problem of handheld shoppers." REQUEST: URLs for any CGI Gopher to Web gateways, for the gopher:// impaired? Send your gopher stories! Just Gopher It! Originally at http://www.scn.org/~bkarger/gopher-manifest/ and now archived at http://27.org/gopher-manifesto/.

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.